All About Belt Tests!
Section 1 – Beginner
- White Belt – The starting point in your Krav Maga journey.
- Grey Belt – Graded & awarded in class after a minimum of 20 technical classes.
- Yellow Belt – Graded & awarded in class after a minimum of 30 technical classes at the Grey Belt level.
Section 2 – Intermediate
- Orange Belt – Students become eligible to test for Orange Belt after a minimum of 40 classes at the Yellow Belt level; students must pass the Section 1 Belt Test to be awarded this rank.
- Green Belt – Graded & awarded in class after a minimum of 60 technical classes at the Orange Belt Level.
Section 3 – Advanced
- Blue Belt – Students become eligible to test for Blue Belt after a minimum of 60 classes at the Green Belt level; students must pass the Section 2 Belt Test to be awarded this rank.
- Purple Belt – Graded & awarded in class after a minimum of 60 technical classes at the Blue Belt Level.
Section 4 – Expert
- Brown Belt – Students become eligible to test for Brown Belt after a minimum of 90 classes at the Purple Belt level; students must pass the Section 3 Belt Test to be awarded this rank.
- Black Belt – Graded & awarded in class after demonstrating expert level proficiency in all domains of the Lions Krav Maga curriculum.
BELT TEST SCHEDULE
Section 1 Belt Tests are scheduled approximately twice a year, usually in the Fall and Spring. Section 2 and 3 Belt Tests are scheduled approximately once per year, and the time of year varies. Belt Tests usually last between 4-7 hours, and there is a fee to test (prices may vary).
One of the best parts of Belt Test days is the Watch Party that we host every time! Students bring snacks, drinks, and lawn chairs & hang out to watch & cheer on their training partners! It’s always a great time!
BELT TEST ELIGIBILITY
Students who have all of the marks on their Rank Card for the relevant curriculum section will be eligible to test, but they must still get permission to test from one of the Owners, either Katie or Jason Fryer. Permission to test will be given based on skill level; it is not automatically awarded based on attendance or for any other reason. Permission to Test forms will be available at the front desk starting 6 weeks prior to the testing event. The deadline for registration is 1 week prior to the test. Students who intend to test should allow plenty of time to talk to one of the Owners about getting permission to test.
BELT TEST REGISTRATION
- Check your Rank Card at the front desk to make sure you have completed all of the requisite classes.
- Pick up a Permission to Test form at the front desk.
- Find the Curriculum in the left sidebar after logging into the Lion’s member website, and print yourself a copy.
- Mark every technique with a 1, 2, or 3…
- 1= What even is this??
- 2= I am familiar with this technique, but I need more practice.
- 3= I know this technique very well.
- After marking up your curriculum, bring it along with your Permission to Test form to Jason or Katie to discuss.
- If they give you permission to test, they will sign your form. If not, they’ll discuss what you will need to do to prepare yourself for the test.
- Once you’ve gotten your form signed, you can return your form to the front desk to register.
Permission forms are due by 7 days before the test date.
If you have any questions please email us at Lionskravmaga@gmail.com or ask the person at the front desk!
Good luck, Lions!