Soft Reopening Safety Protocols
Deciding when and how to reopen was one of the more nuanced and challenging decisions that we have had to make since we opened. We had to carefully balance our desire to keep our students and staff safe with our duty to respect each individual’s freedom to make personal decisions about their own wellbeing. As Americans, we have the freedom of choice; what is right for one person may not the same as what is right for another.
We are happy to be able to provide a space for those who wish to continue training in-person. If you do not feel comfortable with returning to in-person training yet, that’s okay too! We are happy to continue providing training in multiple formats to suit all of our students’ needs.
When you plan to return to for in-person training, please don’t feel like you need to have this memorized – our staff will be able to walk you through everything at the gym as well.
GYM CHECK-IN PROCESS
Reservations for class are REQUIRED.
- If you cannot make it to class, please utilize the message board to find someone for your spot.
- There will be a waitlist available as well, so please use it if the class is full.
- Do NOT arrive at the gym without reserving your spot in class.
When you arrive for class…
- Sanitize your hands. Remove your shoes, and then sanitize your hands again. Hand sanitizer will be provided in the lobby.
- Check in at the front desk office window where Sophie will record your attendance and take your temperature using an infrared, no-touch thermometer. Sophie will also retrieve and mark your rank cards for you so that you will not have to touch anything yourself.
- For the Heavy Bag class, proceed to the furthest bag that is available. See the following section for information on how we have organized the room for social distancing.
For the Krav Maga class, proceed to the zone marked with the highest number. There will be 2 people per zone. The other person in your zone will be your training partner throughout the class to limit contact. If the class is full, there will not be an option to take the class solo. See the following section for information on how we have organized the gym for social distancing.
SOCIAL DISTANCING AT THE GYM
- Although we will be providing partner classes, we still ask that you please respect social distancing protocols whenever possible. We encourage requests for consent when it comes to approaching within 6 ft. of another student or a staff person. Masks are required for all students and staff upon entry.
- We encourage you to choose one or two people who you feel comfortable training with and attending class together whenever possible to limit contact with others.
- In the Heavy Bag classes, you will not be working with a partner. We have removed every other bag to ensure there is a minimum of 6 feet between heavy bags. The instructor will have their own “zone” from which s/he will teach the class that is at least 6 feet away from students.
- In the Krav Maga classes, there are 8 zones, with 2 specifically designated for the instructor(s) in places where s/he can observe everyone in class. The centers of each of the other 6 zones are 11 feet apart from each other, with 1 partner group per zone. All students & instructors should stay in their zones throughout the class.
GYM SAFETY & SANITATION PROTOCOLS
- Bathrooms may not be used as changing rooms at this time. Students must arrive in their training clothes ready to go.
- Students must change their shoes in the front lobby area and store their shoes in their gym bags. Gym bags must be stored in the front lobby area or on the mat next to your “zone” or in the hall next to your designated heavy bag.
- Water fountains will be off limits, so please bring your own water. We will still have water and Gatorade for sale in the front desk office. Please order directly from Gabby instead of retrieving it yourself.
- If you need to use the restroom, please sanitize your hands BEFORE going into the restroom, and be sure to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, with soap, before returning to the mat.
- All students and staff are required to wear masks covering their nose and mouth in compliance with the City of Austin order. Click HERE for a compilation of studies on why masks are effective in reducing the spread of disease.
- There will be no rental gear available. If you do not have your own gear, you may purchase gear from Sophie in the front desk office. You can also purchase through our online proshop by clicking HERE.
- Pads / equipment will be provided for each zone. Students will not need to retrieve their own pads or equipment, nor will they need to wipe their own gear down after class.
- Everything will be sanitized within an inch of its life before and after each class. Everything.
- We will have a waiver that each person will need to sign prior to their first class back at the gym. Please see guidelines and expectations below. You will need to ensure that you personally fit the criteria before reserving an in-person class.
- No symptoms of ANY illness within the last 14 days. Check for these symptoms: fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell.
- No known contacts with anyone who has symptoms or who has tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days. Note that ALL healthcare workers caring for COVID-19 patients would fall under this category.